Bibliography & Exhibition History
Works in MATRIX:
All works lent by the Ethnic Arts Foundation unless otherwise noted. All works 22 x 30 in. unless otherwise noted.
1. Baua Devi, Untitled (three snake maidens), about 1983.
2. Baua Devi, Untitled (snake maiden), about 1983.
3. Baua Devi, Untitled (snake maiden), about 1983.
4. Baua Devi, Untitled (snake maiden), about 1983.
5. Baua Devi, Untitled about 1983.
6. B750, Baua Devi, Untitled (five Shiva lingams), about 1983.
7. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
8. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
9. Baua Devi, Untitled (from The Prince and the Witches story), about 1984.
10. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
11. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
12. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
13. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
14. Baua Devi, Untitled, about 1983.
15. Baua Devi, The Festival of Chait, about 1983, 60 x 124 in.
16. Baua Devi, The Life of Krishna, about 1983, 60 x 118 1/2 in.
17. Baua Devi, Kali, 1984.
18. Gopal Saha, The Story of the Poor Shoemaker, about 1983.
19. Gopal Saha, The Story of the Poor Shoemaker, about 1983.
20. Gopal Saha, The Story of the Poor Shoemaker, about 1983.
21. Artist unknown, Untitled, about 1996, anonymous loan.
22. Batohi Jha, Ram, date unknown, anonymous loan.
23. Leela Kumari, Kali, about 1983.
24. B213, Krishnanand Jha, Chinnamasta, about 1983.
25. B207, Krishnanand Jha, Mahakali, about 1983.
26. Chatauanand Jha, Ram and Lakshman in the Forest, about 1983.
27. Karpoori Devi, Loth, about 1983.
28. Mahasundari Devi, Untitled (Mithila wedding), date unknown, 42 x 131 in., Collection Berkeley Art Museum.
Anand, Mulk Raj. Madhubani Painting (New Delhi: Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, '84).
Archer, Mildred. Indian Popular Paintings in the Indian Office Library (London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, '77).
Brown, Carolyn Henning. "The Women Painters of Mithila," in Festival of India in the United States 1985-1986 (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., '85), pp. 155-61.
_____. "Contested Meanings: Tantra and the Poetics of Mithila Art" American Ethnologist, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 717-737, 1996. American Anthropological Association.
Craven, Roy. A Concise History of Indian Art (London: Thames and Hudson; New York: Praeger, '76).
Graburn, Nelson H. H. ed. Ethnic and Tourist Arts: Cultural Expressions of the Fourth World (Berkeley: University of California Press, '76).
Jayakar, Pupul. The Earth Mother: Legends, Ritual Arts, and Goddesses of India (San Francisco: Harper & Row, Publishers, '90).
Thakur, Upendra. Madhubani Painting (New Delhi: Abhinav Publications, n.d.).
Vequad, Yves. The Woman Painters of Mithila (London: Thames and Hudson, '77).
Thursby, Gene R. An Introduction to Madhubani Painting
Mithila Museum, Tokamachi, Japan
The MATRIX Program is supported in part by grants from Mrs. Paul L. Wattis, Ann M. Hatch, the California Arts Council, the UAM Council MATRIX Endowment Fund, and two anonymous donors. Special thanks to David Szanton, Parmishwa Jha, Ray Owens, Joe Elder, Joanna Williams, Guari Mishra, and Jayanand Jha.